Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Our application for yesterday was basically to tell someone about our plants and to then post about their responses. Unfortunately at Coke we rarely have any chance to literally talk to each other. Usually there may be a 30 second conversation interrupted by an avalanche of calls, and then 3 hours later you realize you were talking to someone! The only chance we really get to talk is at our once a week meeting. SO, I called some people, and NO ONE ANSWERED their phones. I left messages, and not a one called me back, including my mom and dad! SO...My last hope at completing this was to post a blog on Facebook and Myspace. I had no responses on Myspace, but I did get several on Facebook.

Here's what I posted as well as the responses...

Hello Everyone.

Some of you may know that for the past few weeks I've been carrying around a Neanthebella Palm. Why might you ask? Well, it's a bit of a project we're doing at Onething Prayer Center. We're to carry our plants every where we go and to "consider the lilies" as Matthew 6:25-34 states. During this process we're to not only learn about the plant, and how it grows, but we're to consider ourselves and our lives and how God takes care of us and we have no need to worry. Daily we do applications through an online blog, which range from reaching out to others, to reaching into ourselves. Every application that we complete we get the chance to earn necessities for our plant, like water, plant food, pruning, and sunlight.

I named my plant Beatrice, and it's been very interesting taking her where ever I go. There's been a lot of strange looks that's for sure! I've learned about the fragility of life, but the fact that no matter what Beatrice trusts that she'll be watered, and she'll get sunlight. She doesn't worry or fret. I've learned about my own fragility and that I can trust God, that no matter what He's going to take care of me. I don't have to worry about what I'll eat, or what I'll wear. As long as I put my trust in Him.

One instance that really stuck out me was the day I earned my first ever pruning for Beatrice. My insane cat Aldo had gotten in the room where Beatrice is kept and ate huge chunks out of her leaving dead brown spots all over. I'd taken very good care of her for so long that it was such a bummer. All I could see was the scars and dead spots. During the process of pruning her I noticed she had a ton of new growth that I hadn't seen before. I'd been really battling myself over failing in some areas, and I was being very hard on myself. I couldn't get past my failures. I couldn't get past my dead spots. Immediately I thought, how often do I miss my new growth as a person and as a child of God because I can't get past the dead spots. From that moment on I've had a different perspective of myself. And I've given myself much more grace than I have before. Not only to be human, but to forgive myself for failing. Besides you can't move on from a failure without seeing some good to move on to.

Well, that's just a little sample of what I've learned so far. I appreciate any comments or questions you may have for me as it's part of my application for the day and Beatrice could really use some water! ;)

Much Love!

-Jennifer: I think that is amazing!

-Cynthia: This is awesome Nickel. Its amazing how something like this is a lesson in accepting yourself and the things that come your way from God. As long as we trust in God we don't need to worry about the outcome of things because we'll always be taken care of. Talk to you soon!

-Chance: The 3rd paragraph hit me like a ton of bricks. This has helped me realize things about myself as well. Thank you so much for posting this!

-Heather: Nickel, how awesome is God? I just spoke to my homegroup about not sweating the dark areas in our lives, but to see them as opportunities for growth. And then here you are talking about the same thing. I love you girl! Thanks for sharing!

-Rochelle: I've been at the same spot Nickel. Recently I have really been trying to count the blessings and let God take care of the rest. I also know that attitude has a great deal with how you handle things. Trying to live my life with an attitude of gratitude in all situations! I love you!

-Amber: If God gives you grace, then shouldn't you give it yourself, too? If not, are you saying His grace isn't enough...that you have to be harder on yourself than He is? His grace IS enough. No need to focus on your scars, dead spots or failures - He doesn't even see them! He doesn't remember them (see Hebrews 10:17). Now, that's good news! We need to get past focusing on ourselves (what good does that do us anyway?), put our focus on Jesus & what He's done for us and see ourselves how the Father sees us! I guarantee life will change for you!

-Steve: Amen!!! We are NOW the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus...everything else is just crap! (that's King James :-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment